The Fort Drum Regional Health Planning Organization (FDRHPO), in partnership with our local hospitals and community college, offers students entering grades 8-12 the opportunity to learn what health professionals do each day. By participating in interactive, hands-on activities that highlight various career opportunities, students learn about the educational requirements, skills, typical job duties and personal qualities of specific health professionals. Involvement in MASH (Medical Academy of Science and Health) Camp will also increase student awareness and understanding of the hospital setting and structure. Additionally, this program provides students the opportunity to network with healthcare professionals in their community, thus building long-term mentoring relationships.
MASH Camp is a unique opportunity for students to experience the health care world in an interactive way. It provides an opportunity for students to take advantage and experience the field of healthcare and start their educational pathway in pursuit of a degree. The 3-day session (9:00-3:00 pm) will help answer some questions and then provide students with a path to explore their options more in-depth. Regardless of the hospital placement, each day will be different with interesting and thought-provoking exercises and activities that will give a real life experience. MASH Camp is offered in the summer at Lewis County General Hospital, Carthage Area Hospital, Samaritan Medical Center, River Hospital and Jefferson Community College. Additionally, MASH Camp is offered in February, (winter break) at Samaritan Medical Center, Carthage Area Hospital, and Lewis County General Hospital.
All students selected to participate in the MASH Camp experience will need:
• Signed release of liability forms by parent/guardian
• Signed media release form by parent/guardian
• Up-to-date and proof of immunization record
• Proof of Physical (within past year)
• Up-to-date (within the past year) and proof that a TB Skin Test (ppd) has been conducted
• Documentation of any medical conditions, dietary needs and allergies
• Signed Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA): parent/guardian and student
To apply for the MASH Camp Program, students must submit a completed application to the FDRHPO office by fax or mail. All applications will be reviewed and ranked based on the following criteria:
• The level of interest demonstrated by the student’s essay composition (250 words)
Essay should include of reasons for interest in MASH camp, interests in
the healthcare field, and plans for future in the healthcare field.
• A grade point average of 75 or above
• Good attendance record of the student
• Reference from one Teacher or School Counselor
• Parental/Guardian Consent Form