The Fort Drum Regional Health Planning Organization (FDRHPO), in partnership with our local hospitals and community college, offers students entering grades 8-12 the opportunity to learn what health professionals do each day. By participating in interactive, hands-on activities that highlight various career opportunities, students learn about the educational requirements, skills, typical job duties and personal qualities of specific health professionals. Involvement in MASH (Medical Academy of Science and Health) Camp will also increase student awareness and understanding of the hospital setting and structure. Additionally, this program provides students the opportunity to network with healthcare professionals in their community, thus building long-term mentoring relationships.
MASH Camp is a unique opportunity for students to experience the health care world in an interactive way. It provides an opportunity for students to take advantage and experience the field of healthcare and start their educational pathway in pursuit of a degree. The 3-day session (9:00-3:00 pm) will help answer some questions and then provide students with a path to explore their options more in-depth. Regardless of the hospital placement, each day will be different with interesting and thought-provoking exercises and activities that will give a real life experience. MASH Camp is offered in the summer at Lewis County General Hospital, Carthage Area Hospital, Samaritan Medical Center, River Hospital and Jefferson Community College. Additionally, MASH Camp is offered in February, (winter break) at Samaritan Medical Center, Carthage Area Hospital, and Lewis County General Hospital.
All applications will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis and will be ranked on the following criteria:
- – A 250-word essay which includes reason for interest in MASH Camp, the health care field and plans for the future. Application and essay must be completed and submitted electronically via Survey Monkey.
2. School Counselor Reference & Ranking Form:
- – Verification of GPA of 75 or above
- – A good attendance record
*These forms must be completed by school counselor and submitted to FDRHPO via fax, mail or email.
All students selected to participate in the MASH Camp experience will need:
- – Release of Liability forms signed by parent/guardian
- – Media Release form signed by parent/guardian
- – Up-to-date immunization records
- – Proof of physical within the past year
- – Proof of TB Skin Test within the past year
- – Documentation of any medical conditions, dietary needs or allergies
- – Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) signed by parent/guardian and student
Applications for Summer 2017 MASH Camp will be available April 10. Please check back soon!